12.28.2007

My Top 50 of the Year - #50-41

Well, due to the snow, I had a bit of an accident on the highway this morning while heading to work. So I got that cleaned up and came straight back home. I'm glad to have the day here, because I put my finishing touches on my top albums of th year list and here's the beginning. I don't wanna upload anything for this one so mp3 links only where available - youtube links everywhere else.

50. Bettye Lavette - The Scene of the Crime
Bettye's voice has never sounded better and the music (done by the Drive-By Truckers) resonated a bit more with me this time around.
Talking Old Soldiers

49. White Stripes - Icky Thump
A big rebound from the mess of the last record, and it proves that the Stripes may be at their best when they're at their quirkiest.
Conquest

48. Thurston Moore - Trees Outside The Academy
Only a small departure for a man who didn't really need one. Most of the tunes woulda worked with the band, but kudos to Thurston.
Trees Outside the Academy

47. This is My Condition - Get Loose/This Mission
One album of one man freakouts, and another of two man freakouts. Both are a blast to turn up as loud as you can and scare your neighbors with.
This Mission from This Mission

46. Tim Armstrong - A Poet's Life
This album is a blast of good summery fun from yer favorite Rancid frontman. There isn't much more fun that you can have with an album this year.
Into Action

45. Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
I think the slicker production than before turned me off a bit, but I'll eat my shoe if "Four Winds" isn't one of Conor's finest songs yet.
Four Winds

44. Norah Jones - Not Too Late
Norah seemed to show us more about Norah and less about the writers and musicians around us on this album, and I liked. You don't expect edgy from Norah, you just expect to relax and enjoy.
Thinking About You at youtube

43. Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
I kept seeing this pop up on other peoples lists and thus gave it a try, and whaddya know, its actually quite good. If it didn't slip into dobro-laden ballads as much it would have rated much higher, but the spurned and angry Miranda is a load of fun.
Gunpowder and Lead at youtube

42. Maria Taylor - Lynn Teeter Flower
This one may be on the list just because I listened to it last night, but Maria's sound continued to expand this year and grew more upbeat and spacier. I never thought I'd put Maria on the list higher than Bright Eyes...
A Good Start

41. The Frames - The Cost
Maybe it's just my love for the new breed of Irish troubadours, but I think I could listen to Glen Hansard sing the phone book and fall in love with it, but that's not necessary - this album is lyrically quite personal and wonderful.
Falling Slowly

3 Comments:

Blogger Happy In Bag said...

Doh!- I just realized that I never got around to picking up the Tim Armstrong disc. And yours is the only list I've seen that featured it. Good call.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Don't Need Anything said...

I have a feeling that won't be the only album on my list that you don't see on anyone elses. Haha.

6:52 PM  
Blogger eda said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home